Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Review: My FX35 Bi-Xenon HID Retroft for the Honda Fit

I had a lot of fun learning about retrofitting and making it happen. It took me a while to get all the parts and figure out how to paint and mount everything professionally, but it was worth it and my first retrofit came out pretty good. You also retain the factory headlight adjustment with this retrofit. You can see the retrofit as my title picture up top.

Here's a picture of the second retrofit I completed for a FitFreak member.



The retrofit takes me two days to complete.

The first day, I take the headlights apart so I can modify the reflector bowl to house the FX35 projectors and I prep the headlight housing and reflector bowl for painting. Once all the cutting and sanding is done, I paint everything with at least 5-6 thin layers of paint waiting 15 minutes between each coat. I've been using the Semi-Gloss High Heat Duplicolor spray paint, but I can use any color and even match the reflector bowl to the original headlight housing/car color. After everything is painted, I let it dry over night so that I know the paint will not chip or flake in the future.

The second day, I go ahead and mount the projector into the reflector bowl and get it ready for cutoff adjustment. I have to take off my Fit's front bumper, disconnect my headlights, remove the headlights, and then mount the new retrofit on the car for cutoff adjustment. I do the adjustment at about 20ft away from the wall to make sure it is as acurate as possible. Once I am satisified, I remove the headlights and put my car back together and put the dog bowl shrouds on the projectors. Once that is done, I start putting the headlights back together. Before I put them back in the oven to seal up, I put a strip of OEM butyl sealant along the the whole edge of the lens of the headlight so that there are no worries of them ever fogging up. I've had my retrofit since October and I have had no fogging or any issues with the headlights.

I matched the retrofit up with an OEM FX35 HID kit and 5000K bulbs and the roads are so much brighter now. Once you got HID retrofit, you will never go back!

More pics coming soon!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Can you help me out?

http://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-i-c-e/54112-bi-xenon.html