Tuesday, January 1, 2008

DIY: Putting the Honda Fit Headlights Back Together

DIY: Disclaimer

If you need instructions on how to take apart the headlight first please go to this link.
DIY: Taking the Honda Fit Headlights Apart

If you need instructions on how to paint the headlights please go to this link.
DIY: Painting the Honda Fit Headlights

---------------------------------------------------------

You need to reassembled the painted plastic cover and the lens of the headlight.





Do the reverse from DIY: Painting The Honda Fit Headlights

I ordered this butyl sealant for tail lights from the Nissan dealer. You can see the part number in the picture if you want to order it. Claymore from FitFreak.net also shined some light on this butyl sealant and you can get it from the autoparts store. It's the window sealant, which is also butyl based. This is the same stuff that is use as sealant in the OEM Honda Fit headlights.


I just found out from Earthmover84 on FitFreak.net more details on the butyl sealant at the car store.
- "you can put on your DIY that 3M Windo-Weld Ribbon Sealer works to, just got some. it does contain polybutylene, and butyl. thought i might let you know. AutoZone and Advanced Autoparts both carry it. part number 051135 08612"




I dont know if you can tell, but I put a thin strip all around the crack where the butyl should go before I put the headlight back together and in the oven.




After I preheated the oven to 200C and turned it off, I assembled the headlight back together as best as I could for now and placed it inside the oven for 10 minutes. After that I took it out and just pressed it back into the crack and slipped the plastic clips back into their places. AGAIN, your oven may vary from my oven so check it in 5 minutes and see if any plastic is melting.

After all is pressed back together, put the three screws back into the back of the headlight.

Here's a pic of a completed vs incompleted headlight.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey smeister13 I really appreciate the great text and photos on how to do this modification... TCoyote.